Decorating & Furniture/built ins in an open floor plan?

We have built a house two years ago and I am decorating room by room. Our downstairs is open with a dining room, foyer, living room, family room and kitchen, etc. The family room and living room are beside each other and only  are divided by an arched opening on the wall- no doors. We have built ins along the exterior wall on either side of the fireplace in the family room. My question is would it be okay to have an "entertainment center" built in built for the living room on the same exterior wall? Or should we buy a piece of furniture? Because of windows and openings, that is the only wall to put something. I just did not know if it would look weird when you walk in and see two built ins on the same wall but in different rooms. And if it would work, how do I keep the rooms from looking too long? Thank you

I am having a hard time understanding the layout of your space. Can you give me dimensions of your overall space and what is located on each wall(north, south etc.) and which wall you are looking at for the built in. You can also send images to

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book