Decorating & Furniture/buying a sofa & loveseat

Question
After 20 years, we are finally replacing a country-style sofa and loveseat.  Our living room walls are a medium olive green and the adjoining dining room is the same color above the chair-railing and a rusty-red beneath. There is no other furniture in the living room and we may have to add gradually, but we are starting with a sofa.  I like the clean lines of a sofa with a straight exposed leg and am thinking of a neutral color that can be dressed up with throw pillows of any color (should we ever tire of the green walls).  Is it wise to go neutral for a sofa and what about when you buy both a sofa and loveseat or 2 sofas?  They don't necessarily have to be the same fabric but what are ideas for making them look "related"?  Do they need to be the same sofa, just different fabrics or should they match or can you have two different style:  say one skirted and one with exposed legs.

Thanks so much.

MaryAnn

Answer
Hi Mary Ann,

I applaud you for your purchasing smarts when it comes to neutral fabrics in  furniture.  So many people purchase these big ticket items in flowers or plaids and prints and hate them before there's even signs of wear and tear.  

I personally prefer that the two pieces coordinate.  That doesn't mean that they have to "match" necessarily, but I do like some continuity in the two big pieces in the room.  I would mix color before I would mix styles.  I would not skirt one and have exposed legs on the other.  

The two - if alike - can be "dressed" or accessorized differently, but their structure and style should be consistent.

Hope this helps you.
Jenny

PS:  Remember that there is a "neutral" for every single color in the world.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik