Decorating & Furniture/camouflage folding table

I have not used my dining room for 5 years. We have a kitchen -- eating area -- family room across the back of the house, and we host dinners there because we can enjoy the fireplace in the winter, the pool in the summer and music all the time.

Dining room is now a sitting area -- 2 recliners in dusty rose, carpet Wedgewood blue, curtains a pink, blue taupe Monet-like watercolor floral, and fruitwood woodwork. I made a table out of a lobster pot and a glass top. Have 2 bookcases as well.

Have been using a 4-foot folding table as a workspace (am a writer and it's nice to spread out on) It works great, but looks awful. How can I camouflage this table?

Normal tablecloths just aren't the right size -- and am concerned that a pretty throw would be too textured to work on (used that trick for the round table between the chairs)

I don't sew and can't make things from scratch (unless it's a photo project on my computer)

Any ideas? Was thinking of picking up the taupe from the curtains.  

Hi Pat,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I have an idea for your work table.  Since you're a writer, why not cover the table with photocopied excerpts of your favorite writers (I hope you're one of your own...) covering it all with a glass top (or plexi) so that you can work on it without disturbing anything.  You could decoupage it easily with good ole' Elmer's white glue (underneath and overtop) or you could simply keep the pieces in place with the glass top.  

You may also want to put a file cabinet - decorative or otherwise - underneath one end of the table, further dileneating it as a work space.  If the table isn't painted, paint it and the filing cabinet taupe.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology