Decorating & Furniture/career in int design

Question
I have more of a question on how you got started.  I would like to know how you got clients together, how you advertised and things of that nature.   Did you go to college for Interior Design?  I am looking to start doing interior design for kids' rooms.  I have done several of my sister's rooms (she has 3 girls, and I am currently working on a 3 wall mural in the play room) and a couple in my house, but I have no idea how to get clients togeher to get going.  I will be able to get the licensinsg info and what not from offices here, but I would appreciate any suggestions you have to get started.  My sister had a good idea about setting up a booth at a home improvement show we have 2x a year where I live, but I would like other ideas.  Let me know if you have any, or you know of somewhere to get this type of information.  Any little bit would be appreciated.  Thank you.  Shannon  :)

Answer
I went about it backwards.  Rather than dwell on that, here are my suggestions.  Get training and certification of some sort; college or trade school for Interior Design.  There's a great school in Tampa Florida called the Design Institute.  If nothing else, work for a designer in your area, a furniture store that specializes in interior design, or a retailer like Lowe's or Home Depot/Home Depot Expo in the wallpaper/paint/blinds area.

Take photos (before and after) of every single thing you do, compiling a scrap book/portfolio of your work.  

Train yourself in business practices, banking, accounting and customer support.  

If it's something you really want to do, you can make it happen.  It won't happen overnight, but nothing really great ever does.  Well - except Lottery winners, but how many of them do we know?  

Jenny

PS  Read everything/watch everything you can about design.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik