Decorating & Furniture/carpet

We have a loft area that is open to the living room downstairs.  We use it as a media room. The downstairs has hardwoods.  The stairs and upstairs (loft) has carpet. The carpet needs to be replaced because it is builder grade and because we have cats that have ruined it in a few places. I would like to replace the carpet with hardwood, but have to think about the echo factor. Carpet helps with the noise. Any suggestions?  Also, if we put in new carpet it needs to be extremely durable as well as asthetically pleasing. What type of carpet would you suggest? Thank you.

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Carpet does absorb some amount of noise.  What helps hardwood floors in this regard (and something you might consider) are large area rugs.  

If you opt for carpeting, consider a tightly woven berber.  The cats will not be able to "pull strings" from it and it is a durable woven carpet that's also very popular.  It comes in varying price points, textures and types, so do some looking around before you select.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology