Decorating & Furniture/charcoal couch

Hi, My husband and I just bought our first home and are confused about color. We have a charcoal grey micro fiber couch set that is only a year old and do not want to replace it or cover it. We want to paint the living area when we move in and could use some tips on colors that compliment this particular set. Right now it is a light blue that is pretty but I am not sure if it will look right with the set. The floors are hard wood. So, what do you suggest?

Hi Jennifer.  Thanks for writing.  Complimentary colors for charcoal grey include some members of the red family, i.e., pink, burgandy, cranberry, nutmeg, apricot; yellows such as mustard, buttercream, chiffon, and even puce. Green shades like celery and sage (as long as it isn't supere dark) are another alternative.   Another great combination is a blued tone of violet.  That's very contemporary and is even nicer when combined with a celery green.

The blue may work if it's a grey-blue shade.  Try it and see.

Lots to think about now!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology