Decorating & Furniture/cherry floors & oak cabinets?

QUESTION: I would like to paint my dull dated oak cabinets.I feel that they clash with the new brazilian cherry floors, my table is an espresso color , walls are light green & red accents.I thought about painting the cabinets a dark color to match my table & adding silver pulls.i'm worried about making the room too dark & will it lessen the value of my home.I'm open to any advice ...i need help!

ANSWER: Thanks for writing.  I do not think that updating your cabinets will lessen the value, I think just the opposite.  I love the idea of blending more with the floor shade, and while it does not have to be as dark, it will be beautiful in combination.  

THe silver pulls are a great idea as well, and if you can afford to do it, using the "bar" pulls are more up to date than most anything else.

Good luck with your project.  

QUESTION: Do you have any color of paint suggestions? oil vs. latex? If I don't go with the dark espresso color? would you go a light color? My husband suggested white. I didn't think it would go with the cherry floors - that's why I'm asking the expert's!

I would use a latex paint versus oil for clean up and drying time.  The dark espresso would work for you, but it may tend to be too dark.  I'd try to find a shade of brown that has a good bit of red in it - a color that matches your flooring more closely.  If you want a close-to-perfect match, take a sample of your flooring into the paint department of your favorite home improvement store and have them "match" it.  

White is fine, if you like white, but I get the feeling you don't care for it, and actually neither do I from a design standpoint.    

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology