Decorating & Furniture/choosing color over white

Question
We built our house 10 years ago and painted all the walls white or cream because we could not make one more decision!  It is time to paint and I am desperate to go with color but have no clue what to pick.  The house is contemporary (I think) the kitchen and living room are one long room (46' x 15') with a cathedral ceiling in the living section.  Cabinets in the kitchen are white and we have grey, granite-look formica countertops.  There are 4 large windows (+ kitchen sink window)and a sliding glass door that let in lots of sunshine.
Floors are natural oak and the carpet is getting chucked as it has seen it's day.  We also plan on replacing the furniture in the near future so we do not have any predetermined color scheme.  The problem (besides fear) is that what ever color we pick has to run the length of all the rooms as there is not "break" from one room to the next.  I do know that the paint will have to go with/compliment the counters and grey tile backsplash between counter and cabinets.
We also need to paint our foyer which runs the two full stories and has a staircase going along 2 walls with a small balcony at the top  We would like this to be a different color from the kitchen/family room.
Please can you help me? thank you

Answer
If you want to continue to be "safe" but still add color, use Toasty Grey (a taupe shade) from Glidden.  It will work very well in your situation and will give you a big change from the white.  As for the foyer/staircase you can paint it a darker shade of taupe (check the color swatch for Toasty Grey at the paint dept/store and move darker on the same swatch) or you can differentiate the color by using either an icy blue (very chique with browns and/or greys) or a sagey green.  

Hope this helps you.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik