Decorating & Furniture/choosing a picture mat color

Question
Hi Jenny,
  I have an antique 20x30 maxfield parrish lithograph (Daybreak) in it's original frame that I would like to reframe, lighten it up and give it some pizzaz.
  If you are not familiar with that picture, it is dark, with mainly blues, some reds, greens, white/beige, and golds.   The old frame is very dark and the picture wasn't matted.   I have very dark and heavily carved furniture in my dining room and would like to place it over my server.   The other (smaller) pictures in the room all have gold frames and are either matted in off white or gold with cranberry mats.
  I prefer gold frames, but, I am thinking that it should be dark wood with some gold so that it looks ok over the server.   Then since I have large medievel cranberry chairs, I thought i'ld like to use a cranberry mat with perhaps another mat in gold underneath.?   Do you think this would come out too dark?   Would you suggest I put a light over the picture? I find white mats to be so boring.   It is a 15x25 ft room and the picture will have it's own wall. The walls are painted with a Ralph Lauren crackle paint...peachy beige with cranberry cracks.   Any suggestions?   Thanks. Denise  

Answer
I'd suggest using a double matting.  Opt for your cranberry matting and instead of gold underneath, use a thin white or off-white.  The reason is simple - the white will create the contrast needed to really pop the art.  

Match your frame to the server.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik