Decorating & Furniture/choosing the right paint color

I am about to paint my master bedroom. I found a beautiful comforter that has a beige/khaki background and bold black floral designs on it. I plan to use it with different shades of brown and dark red decorative pillows. My question is what color should I paint my bedroom walls? I am leaning toward a color that is lighter than the khaki in the comforter called "heavy cream." should I go lighter or darker than the comforter background?  

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for writing.  Congratulations of your beautiful new comforter!  It sounds like you have a good plan with the addition of the brown and dark red pillows.  I think if you paint three of the walls the heavy cream color, and paint ONE wall the dark red color, you could create an awesome room.  You may want to choose the wall behind the bed as your accent wall.  The bed covers a fair amount of the space and it will set off your comforter quite nicely.

I hope this answer helps you make your room the best room in your home!!  Best of luck to you,

Julie Henry
Julie's Interior Designs
Hackettstown, NJ

Decorating & Furniture

Julie Henry

In the past 22 years, I have assisted countless residential (and some commercial) clients in the design and decorating of their homes. Within reason, I can assist on ANY question for the interior of your home. From design of a new home or addition, to layout, color, truly custom window treatments or just accessorizing... as our brochure says... from ceiling to floor, windows to walls and EVERYTHING in between... if it is for the Interior of your home, call Julie's Interior Designs. Well... you don't have to call, just write and ask!

With twenty two years of experience, 18 of them self employed with a large showroom/retail store and great staff on my team, there is little I/we haven't encountered. For several years I enjoyed being the on air "Home Editor" of the local cable station and have written a column in several local newspapers for years. Taught Interior Design at the college level. My work has been published in numerous magazines and newspapers. This is the greatest job on earth, and not nearly as easy at it looks...

William Paterson College, NJ, Ramapo College NJ, Continuing Education with trade periodicals, etc.

Multiple for custom window treatments, best local business in our county (located in northwestern NJ,) best home furnishing store in our county, etc.