Decorating & Furniture/color

Question
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your time and experise..I have a color question..this is an exterior question but I am hoping your color knowledge will be able to help me...

Older home(1930) tuned into spa..

Siding: Mocha (taupe)

Windows wide mouling, J-moulding( above siding under soffet): bright white

Porch floor: Sherwin Williams Hardware

Porch railing and post: bright white

Trim on roofline: Sherwin Williams Plum Poetry

Front door with beautiful cut glass: bright white

Foundation around house and lawn edging: natural stone, yellow golds, light rosey reds, taupey..

Problem:

Im not getting the the punch I need for the business  I want to stay with the older home look but incorporate color.I am not pleased with the plum poetry and it almost looks brown , I have tried to come up with areas to add color, possibly the inside window frames, I am not opposed to doing away with the plum, it will cost but may have to do it..I need color ideas and placement ideas..I have also added landscaping in the front of the house with the red looking curved stones, that color looks good and added some punch but I don;t want to get a hodge podge of things going on...
thanks

Answer
The plum is too close to the taupe in color value.  I love the idea of something in the red family, but it needs to be more "red" and less "brown".  If you repaint these areas, use a cranberry red rather than a purple shade of red.  That will give you the contrast you need, particularly considering the taupe and the bright white.  Another alternative is a  "pinkier" shade of red - or on the cooler side, a turquoise shade of blue (teal, but not so green, more blue).

This will solve your dilema.  Thanks for not being afraid of color.  Awesome!

Jenny

PS:  Continue to use yellows and reds in your landscaping, as well as incorporating some "varigated" (green and white, or green and yellow) plants/shrubs.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik