Decorating & Furniture/color choices

Hi Jenny,
I have a new house to paint. I am leaning toward a color palette of sage green, creamy yellow, tan, and a farm house red. I am paining the family room sage, and the kitchen which  opens up to the family room yellow with a sage accent on the arch leading into the formal room. My formal room is a long rectangle with 10 ft ceilings and formal columns as you enter the space, and  the back wall has a huge window overlooking the covered porch. I am concerned this room is already dark and not sure of the color choice. I have cherry furniture and a rusty colored leather sofa. I was trying to pick curtains and paint colors for that room-- either an icy blue/mocha combo with tan paint, or tan with red accent, or...What are your suggestions?

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for writing.  If you want to stick to your color palette, use the "tan" for the formal room.  You might take a look at Glidden's Toasty Grey (it's actually a taupe) and may be just the thing you're looking for in there.  You can certainly add red accents; take your color cues from the rusty color of your couch, and add touches of the yellow and sage in accessories.  That ties each room to the next.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology