Decorating & Furniture/color information

I have two questions: we would like to install a backsplash in the Kitchen.  Our cabinets are white, the counter top is black silestone,the flooring is light colored tile with beige vains running through the tile,the walls are a are pale dessert sand color.

Can you recommend a color for the back splash and the size of tiles we should use?

My second question is:  All our walls are one color throughout the house, which is the pale dessert sand color. Our floors are light oak laminate and light carpet in the bedrooms. What colors do you recommend in furniture and Curtains?

Your help is really appreciated.

Renate Penny  

Since you are working with a neutral color pallette, I'd add some decorative tile to the backsplash.  A 4" x 4" solid color tile is pretty standard fare and the price points are good.  I would however, set the backsplash tile on an angle rather than square, and "top" it with decorative tile molding.  You may want to consider black tile, white grout and a multi-colored decorative tile molding.  Glass tile is an option as well and is available in many colors.

Again, color is a personal decision.  The flooring and wall color throughout your house is neutral and you can add virtually any color to that in the way of furnishings.  Select your favorite color or colors and build from there.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology