Decorating & Furniture/what to color to paint my armoire & slipcover chair

My family room is 16 x 24 with 8 windows and french doors. Walls are painted with a shaker beige, white woodwork/crown moulding, windows have valances with a blue print (carbolay pool/robert allen)with a beige morie undertone and trimed with blue & clear crystals. 2 large pillow type couches in blue. End tables brown, coffee table lacquer black.Telephone table in black with brown trim. In one corner, a small kidney style brown inlaid with leather, desk (matches end tables)> Opposite corner has a white 2 sided corner "hutch". Large pine armoire in center which I would like to paint but what color?  White, black or brown??  Also have a side chair with brown arms, what color to use for slipcover? Favorite colors are blue, white, soft colors of yellow, beige etc. Design style is somewhat tradional or i like the "nantucket" look. I could take a digital picture if that would help. Thanks  

Thanks for writing, for your questions, and for giving me great information to base my recommendations on.  If the hutch is a focal point, then paint it chocolate brown.  If you'd rather it "blend into" the background, paint it white.  If you want the entire thing to look uniform, i.e., the hutch and the armoire -  paint them all the same color.  As for your slipcovers, you're probably only going to be happy with either white, yellow or a "ticking fabric" of white with a blue stripe.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology