Decorating & Furniture/What color sofa and area rug

I'm am moving into a brand new loft style apartment that has dark maroon stained concrete floors.  The ceilings are 10 ft high with exposed duct work, but they are painted white.  The walls in the living room are exposed red brick for two of the walls (with several long vertical windows), with the other wall painted white.  I'm wondering what color scheme would look best for an area rug, sofa and chair.  For accents type things would black cast irons things look better or should I go with more silver and pewter.

Thanks for writing.  If you're planning to leave the white walls, you're probably going to be better off with accents in silver and pewter, although you could use black.  The black accents will be a stark contrast to the white, even though the space is grounded with the deep stained floors.

If you opt to paint the walls a darker color, then you could use either silver/pewter OR black.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology