Decorating & Furniture/what color to use for large living area

We are currently rebuilding our home in New Orleans. The living room, kitchen and music room are all one big open area.  I have a deep red sofa with gold accents and two chairs for the lving room.  All of the tables are a very dark mahogany color including the coffee table and tv armoire.  The kitchen cabinets are dark cherry with baltic brown granite countertops and stailess steel appliances. I can not decide what color to paint such a large area.  Also I am having trouble picking out ceiling fan blade finishes for the three rooms.  Thank you Ana Beard

Hello Ana,
I'm actually a native of Slidell!  Wonderful, you're already nearly completed with your re-build!

Okay...take a look at that baltic brown granite.  That beautiful blue-green color in that granite is spectacular and can really accent the mahogany and cherry furniture.  Respond back to me if I have the wrong color...I'm relying on memory of the granite.

For your more formal environment, it's a richer bleu-green and should be the same family of tones as the deep red.  Make sure you select jewel rich tones, not a light blue.

This color is similar to one of the classic colors you see in historical preservation homes and exteriors.  

The ceiling fan blades should be mahogany!  Keep them the same beautiful wood tone you have in the space.

Good Luck and Send a photo when you've painted!
Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA