Decorating & Furniture/colors

We live in a home that has one big open floor plan. Our Kitchen, Dining room and living room are one open area. We have black leather couch and love seat, a steel and glass dining table and the kitchen is white cabinets with white appliances and white counter tops. We only have one window in all that space but we get a lot of light. The rug under the dining table is black and grey and the rug in the living room is a Guggenheim rug that is grey with many brightly colored abstract shapes. We also have a red bick floor to ceiling fireplace. The ceilings are about 18ft. high.

What the heck do we do with this? We have been considering painting the whole area a light grey or toupe and then adding color with stuff. Then we thought it will be a depressing area and not sure if that will look ok. We are not the realy funky bright color kind of people but some contrast would be nice. We are just not sure what to do now. We currently have one wall in the dining room goldish brown and one wall in the living room goldenrod yellow.

Any ideas?

Here are my suggestions.  Go with a taupe shade for the walls -- all of them.  My favorite is toasty grey which has a greyer tone to it (goes well with black) than a brownish tone.  Toasty Grey is from Glidden (Home Depot, Glidden paint stores).  

Next, select your favorite color (or two colors) from the abstract rug and use those as accent colors for the space.  Pull color into the kitchen as well to cut down on the contrast between the white-white and the black.  

You may opt for a cranberry or red shade; you may prefer a hot yellow or a bold emerald green.  Pull from the rug and you won't go wrong.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology