Decorating & Furniture/colors

-------------------------Thank you for your suggestions. If I do the chair high off the floor should I put it? This dining room is very elegant and I am not sure what is the right height for this.
Also, my table is 44" wide should the chandelier be?

Thanks so much!!
Followup To
Question -
Hi Jenny.  I have a 10x12 dining room right off our small foyer.  We are doing the color Strawberry Field from Benjamin moore. It is a red. But not a bright has brownish undertones sort of brick color.
I was wondering what color I should do the ceiling.  I definitely know that white would be way too bright and stand out too much.  My window moulding for my bay is dark wood. The furniture is also mahogany. And I was thinking of possibly putting in a chair rail but again..not sure what color. We were considering doing the red on the ceiling too. I am not concerned about the room looking smaller. It is what it is and I want an intimate cozy feel.  I hope you can help.

P.s. do people put color in their foyer walls?  or is it always neutral. I wanted to do a color called soft fern. It is really nice.  
thanks for all your help!!!
Answer -
Hi Bella,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Let me start with the last question first.  Foyers are great places to add color and neutral is not the rule.  These little areas can be like jewel boxes if treated appropriately with great paint!  I love the green idea.  Now to the dining room - you "could" use the same green from the foyer on the ceiling in the dining room, visually connecting the two.  

I also like the idea of all red with chair railing.  It will not close the room in or make it look smaller.  If anything it will visually heighten the room.

Typically wainscotting/chair rails are 36" off the floor.  As for your light fixture, just make sure the size you select reflects light over the "circumferance" of your table.  The actual size will depend on what type fixture you use.  Ask for assistance in the electrical department when making your selections.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology