Decorating & Furniture/colors

Question
hi, we have an open concept main floor, it's not a large home: kithen, living room, dining room and a powder room only on that level. Lot's of large windows, contemporary style.  Our kitchen cabinets are fruitwood maple,stainless steel appliances; dark furniture in living and dining room and gray flooring, sage couches.  Our favorite color is green, we don't like any beige, (I love red)  We have some white accessories, lamps and candles.  What colors would be complemantary to green to accessorize and what greens would be good choices for the walls?  Need some advice on window treatments, too.  thanks!!!

Answer
Green's color opposite is red and makes a fabulous statement when paired with green.  Look to the cranberry shades to complement the sages and celeries.  Wall colors can be sage, celery or even darker in contemporary environments.

Your living room needs a few shades lighter than the sage couch color, but "same" is ok here.  Keep your trims in white or if stained, in a natural (similar to your kitchen cabinets).  

Add some black accents to your decor, even if it's a pair of candlesticks.  Black is a grounding color and acts as a color anchor for a room.  It's an old designer trick -- don't tell anyone I told you!

Window treatments should be tailored, no florals or bold patterns; stripes ok, but tone on tone is best.  Clean lines are mandatory to keep the contemporary look and feel so if you add blinds, make sure they are of contemporary styling.  Remember, with contemporary -- less is more.  Clean, uncluttered straight lines.  Add curves and texture with accessories, otherwise use a tone on tone approach to your decorating and you'll have a winner.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik