Decorating & Furniture/what colour carpet?

Hi Andrea

Just wondered if you could help me with my dilemma, I have beech wood furniture, most of which also has silver legs etc, and a lavender leather sofa with silver legs.  I have been putting off buying a carpet or getting a wooden floor as I can't make up my mind which colour to go for. Please help.

Hi Rachael

I think you have quite a few options here and a lot depends on whether you would prefer light or dark, wood or carpet.

If wood appeals, I would suggest something a couple of shades darker than your furniture as trying to get an exact match is difficult.  Add a coupe of area rugs and you are done.

If you opt for carpet you have more choices to make.

If for example you want a darker look, something like this fabric:

would enable you to introduce a dark brown/aubergine (eggplant?) colour to the room which you could use for the carpet if you use this fabric for a couple of pillows for the sofa:

and maybe also a wall panel:

There are lots of colours - dark brown, navy blue, black - that you can make work with your lavender sofa if you can find a fabric to bring the two colours together.

If you like something a bit 'funky', I have a really bright purple carpet in my office which I love and it would look stunning in a colour scheme with beech, lavender and silver.

If you like a lighter look, something like this would look very pretty - perhaps with a wood floor or neutral toned carpet:

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit