Decorating & Furniture/colour scheme

" I have a 18' by 14' lounge with a large east facing bay window in a modern house. I am in the process of having the walls decorated in a 'woven' style of wallpaper which is cream with a faint beige line running through it. The carpet is beige with various flecks of brown in it. The curtains have a buttermilk cream background with occasional swirls of light brown and cream. The 3 piece suite is a rich brown leather. My question is what colour cushions do you advise and do I need to introduce another colour to complement the cream,beige,brown theme and if so what colour? Thankyou for your time."

Thanks for writing and for your question.  You may select any vibrant color you like -- hopefully your favorite -- to accompany this palette.  One of the hottest trends now is turquoise and brown - a very smart, sophisticated selection.  For more "fun" you could add a vibrant orange or a neon shade of green.  One of my favorite pairings is cranberry red and brown.  Choices, choices. Just stay away from anything pale or pastel and you'll be fine.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology