Decorating & Furniture/concerns about low railing with children in a bi-level home

We recently purchashed a bilevel home.  We would really like to have a TV in the living room on the upper floor.  However the only way we can think of to configure the room is to put one couch under the bay window and another against the wrought iron railing that is agianst the front stairway while putting the entertainment center w/ TV on the opposite wall.  

The problem is that we have 2 young children and we are concerned about them standing up on the counch and falling over the railing and down the stairwell.  I want my husband to take the rail down and build a wall in it's place but he feels it will make the room feel cramped and dark.  

Can you thin of any alternatives?

I think you're right to be concerned about the stairwell.  One suggestion is to build a wall which is tall enough to provide security and accessibility for the sofa, but not reaching ceiling height.  This allows the open feel your husband desires to remain in the space and a solution to the problem.

I advise a consultation with your General Contractor to ensure you receive the best height and safety recommendation.

Good Luck!
Alicia Valair, CKD, CID, Allied Member ASID

Decorating & Furniture

Alicia Valair, CID, CKD, Allied Member ASID

Whole house interior space planning and decorating; kitchen layout, and design trends; residential themed environments; selecting furnishings and accessories for your lifestyle.

12 years experience as an interior designer, FIDER graduate and business owner for 5 years. Speciality area: residential interior designer, NKBA certified kitchen designer, and home office designer

Homes of Color magazine, Las Vegas Life magazine, Tucson Home and Garden magazine.

B.A. Interior Design, Marymount University, Arlington, VA