Decorating & Furniture/contemporary and modern designing

Hi. I was wondering what is the difference between contemporary and modern design when it comes to decorating a home? Both of these styles seem to have clean lines, etc., so is there a real difference?

Dear Danielle,
  In my opinion modern has more cleaner lines and industrial looking. Alot of metal and exotic woods. More accustomed to homes in the city.

Contemporary is more of what the fashions are right now. More of a homey feel. Cleaner lines than traditional but not as clean as modern.

Hope this helps.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book