Decorating & Furniture/coordinating carpet with walls

My teenage son's room has a teal green carpet and he wants to paint the walls. He was thinking of a rich blue, but I'm thinking that would be too dark. Our home is a typical 3-bedroom ranch.

What can you suggest for him that will be a little out of the ordinary as far as wall color, but that won't make his room look like a cave?

Select either a green or a blue on a color strip that coordinates best with the rug, then move a couple of steps lighter,  By doing so, you'll create a monochromatic look rather than a dark, cave-like appearance,  Then to appease you son,let him paint "stripes" on the top half of the wall (maybe 3?) in the darker color,  You'll both be happy,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology