Decorating & Furniture/cornices

Question
i just moved into my new house.  i want to put cornices over all my windows.  i have seen cornices made out of wood and covered in fabric but i have also seen them made out of some kind of corrugated board or cardboard.  any ideas were i can get a pattern or instructions on how to make them?  thanks for your help.

Answer
Yes, I have a couple of suggestions for you.  The easiest thing to do is to go to Home Depot and purchase ONE cornice kit.  They run about $20 and have everything (including instructions) you'll need to make one cornice.  Once you've mastered the technique, you can purchase the supplies (just like in the kit, or your own adaptation of them) separately at significantly less money.  These kits use styrofoam pieces (available at the craft store) and are very lightweight yet very sturdy.  Once you cover them with fabric and hang them, no one will ever know the material from which they are made.  The kits are near the blinds/wallpaper in most HD stores.  

The other thought is that you may prefer a sturdier material to make the cornices from - if so, use 1/4" plywood and cut your own pieces to size.  If you use wood, use heavy-duty "L" brackets to hang/support the cornice.

As for patterns, use your own imagination or look in some magazines and/or model homes for inspiration.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik