Decorating & Furniture/crown molding, to paint or stain it

Hi Jenny, My husband and me want to put crown molding up in our house  ourselves and my question is: Is there a rule or just personal preferance as to whether to stain the crown molding or paint it.  We live in the country and our house  is casual.  All the  wood in our house is stained and personally  I hate wood painted  white it seems so unnatural to me . But my husband says we should paint the crown molding white. We have white " popcorn ceilings" and I am in the process of painting and wallpapering different rooms. I always thought you should stain  or paint the crown molding the color of your woodwork. Thank you for your  help.

Hi Wanda,

The crown molding should be stained to match your other built-in woodwork in the house.  That's one of the few (very few, actually) rules of decorating.  

The molding will have greater visual impact against the white ceiling if it is stained, and it will coordinate with the rest of your home.  It sounds beautiful.

Thanks for writing and have a great Thanksgiving.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology