Decorating & Furniture/crown molding/trim stain

In our new home, we will have stained trim/crown molding and doors.  My question is this:  must the stain match our dark stained wood furniture?  Also, ok to change the stain in the kitchen (compared to the rest of the house trim/ molding/doors) to match the cabinets or should the entire house be the same?

Stacey, typically all the moldings are the same throughout the home, but, that isn't a rule that's carved in stone.  I would say that you could change the kitchen's trim easier than anywhere else in the house.  And no, you do not have to stain your wood furniture to match your crown moldings.  A mix of wood tones and textures adds warmth, personality and charm to a home.  Everything "same, same" gets old quickly.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology