Decorating & Furniture/curtains & carpet

Hello, i am a renter so i can't change out my carpet & i recently submitted a question about maroon carpet & how i bought a khaki colored micro-suede sofa &  i was wondering what window treatments i could use well here's one more question.. what if i wanted to do sheer curtains & fabric curtains together how could i do that and which color should be sheer or maroon sheer or khaki sheer? i know this is kind of confusing but this color scheme is really holding me back :)

Hi Crystal -

Thanks for writing and for your question.  You don't have to accent the maroon carpet (unless you love that color) by using it in your window treatments.  Assuming your rental space is white walls, you may opt for khaki colored draperies and white sheers.  Sheers always go inside (as you know) and work best if you keep them in a light color.  That way the drapery frames the window, and the sheer acts like a matt on a framed picture; it dresses up the window and filters light.  

Since you have khaki, maroon and white going on in the space, try adding one of these colors (pick your favorite):  navy blue, pale green, sage green or icey pale blue.  You can use this new color as an accessory color - pillows, area rugs, a throw for the couch, etc.  

If you want to incorporate the carpet color in the window treatment, use a tie-back for the drapery in the maroon color.

Hope this helps you,

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology