Decorating & Furniture/I have dark wood work and want light paint

Question
My living room is very dark, I have done everything I can think of to lighten it... lace curtains, a morrow on the opposite wall from the window, but the room is still dark.  I would like to paint it a light color, but I think the contrast with the dark woodwork around the windows, floorboards, fireplace and stairs would create too much of a contrast. What do you think.  This room has five entrance/exits from it, furniture arrangement, light and color have been a problem for me, any suggestions would be welcome.  I have two jpeg pictures if you would like them

Answer
As long as you have woodwork that is dark, you're going to be fighting for a light feeling in the room.  If you really want to change the overall appearance of the room, paint all the trim (doors, moldings, window casings etc.) a bright crisp white.  Then add color and warmth to the room with a medium to light shade of your favorite color.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik