Decorating & Furniture/I have dark wood work and want light paint

My living room is very dark, I have done everything I can think of to lighten it... lace curtains, a morrow on the opposite wall from the window, but the room is still dark.  I would like to paint it a light color, but I think the contrast with the dark woodwork around the windows, floorboards, fireplace and stairs would create too much of a contrast. What do you think.  This room has five entrance/exits from it, furniture arrangement, light and color have been a problem for me, any suggestions would be welcome.  I have two jpeg pictures if you would like them

As long as you have woodwork that is dark, you're going to be fighting for a light feeling in the room.  If you really want to change the overall appearance of the room, paint all the trim (doors, moldings, window casings etc.) a bright crisp white.  Then add color and warmth to the room with a medium to light shade of your favorite color.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology