Decorating & Furniture/decor

what finishing touches/accessories would you add to a country-style sitting room with conservatory leading off through double French doors, furnished with a mixture of modern timeless sofas(2)covered in a floral fabric to match the curtains;two antique chairs upholstered in co-coordinating
plain colours;mahogany bureau bookcase and Pembroke table;wicker theatrical hamper used as a coffee table;built-in bookshelves; pale yellow emulsion-paint walls;gold/beige seagrass matting floocovering?

Hi Langa

It sounds like there is a quite a bit of pattern already with the sofas and matching curtains so I would hesitate to suggest anything too fussy but perhaps a few neutral pieces would be good.

If you have an empty corner, an Ali Baba style floor standing string covered vase with some dried pampas grass would add texture and interest whilst being a fairly neutral colour and would be in-keeping with a conservatory decor.

Candles are lovely and you could maybe have a collection of assorted sized candles on a platter using your cream/beige/gold colour palette.

Do you feel that the pattern needs to be toned down or do you think you have got the balance right?  If you feel it needs toning down some simple cream pillows or cushions on the sofa and chairs with a plain cream rug (in front of the sofa?) adds a classic and classy finish.

A faux sheepskin rug can look great and again, adds texture without pattern.

By all means send a follow up question if you have anything to add.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit