Decorating & Furniture/how do I decorate slanted walls/ceilings?

I hope you can help me.  I was wondering if you could give me some advice or hints/tips on how to decorate slanted walls/ceilings.  I'm renting a 3'rd floor "attic" apartment in a lovely old house.  It is really beautiful, but there are quite a few of the slanted walls and I don't know how to decorate them.  The walls are currently done in a cream color.  Since I rent, I don't want anything too costly, can't paint them, etc. I thought about getting some poster-art prints and putting them on the walls, but that would probably look stupid, wouldn't it?  I'd just love to find some inexpensive way to decorate them and add a little color to them without making changes that the next renter (although I do want to stay here for a long time) will destroy.  I am very happy in my apartment, yet eventually, I will move out and so I don't want to change too much. Any ideas?  Thank you for your time and I hope I have not bothered you.

Have a great day!

Leeanna Hall

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  Slanted walls are a design challenge for sure, especially if you cannot paint.  

Wall art is a good starting point, and its content really should reflect your interests.  If you like music, you may want to frame some (old) record album covers.  There are simple black frames that are made just for this purpose, and they're available at your local craft store.  (Hanging them so that they will not swing out at the bottom can be done by using "L" brackets.  Attach the "L" to the underside bottom of the frame, leaving room to screw into the wall.)

You may want to create your own art using premade canvases.  They come in a variety of shapes and sizes at various price points; again at the craft store.  

If you want to use posters, you can do that as well.  Frame them all alike, hang them with "L" brackets or attach them to the wall with double-stick tape after they're framed.

The other thing you might consider is installing a plant bracket arm to each slanted wall, and hang either a decorative candle or a plant from the arm.

Hope this helps.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology