Decorating & Furniture/decorating

Question
I have recently joined my husband who got a job in China. The flat is furnished but the Chinese seem to like the colour brown! The floors, desks, tables, beds, telephones and even vases are dark brown. The furniture is beautiful but I'm finding the colour overwhelming and depressing. The walls are white or off white. I'd appreciate any tips on how to brighten up the apartment.  

Answer
Thanks for writing and for your question.  First and foremost, if you can paint, then by all means give the walls a coat of icy blue paint.  If you dislike blue because it is a cool color, then opt for a pale shade of yellow.  Either color will set off the furnishings well, and both colors may be used for accessories to enliven the space even more.  Pale yellow and pale blue pillows or throws/bedlinens would be a great addition.  

For something bolder, consider barn red and "wheat" (a brownish beige).  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik