Decorating & Furniture/decorating

I have recently joined my husband who got a job in China. The flat is furnished but the Chinese seem to like the colour brown! The floors, desks, tables, beds, telephones and even vases are dark brown. The furniture is beautiful but I'm finding the colour overwhelming and depressing. The walls are white or off white. I'd appreciate any tips on how to brighten up the apartment.  

Thanks for writing and for your question.  First and foremost, if you can paint, then by all means give the walls a coat of icy blue paint.  If you dislike blue because it is a cool color, then opt for a pale shade of yellow.  Either color will set off the furnishings well, and both colors may be used for accessories to enliven the space even more.  Pale yellow and pale blue pillows or throws/bedlinens would be a great addition.  

For something bolder, consider barn red and "wheat" (a brownish beige).  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology