Decorating & Furniture/decorating with a L-shaped black leather sofa

Question
QUESTION: I have a trendy L-shaped black leather sofa.   How do I create a clean,somewhat modern, serene, warm, asian, neutral look without going contemporary or eclectic? Would appreciate your suggestions.

ANSWER: Thanks for writing.  The couch itself gives you clean and somewhat modern.  To add serenity, warmth and a bit asian to the mix, consider adding a touch of asian with a tall and large vase with bamboo sticks (5 -7 sticks - always odd numbers).  You can easily find art that tends to be on the asian side at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Michael's, Target etc. which have typically black frames and vivid colors in almost an abstract feel.  For warmth, add a cozy throw (in a solid color) to one end of the couch and purchase pillows that match it.  Pull this color from your artwork.  

You can also add an area rug if need be, to further cozy up the space.  

Keep accessories to a minimum, and if you add tables to the space, use glass or espresso wood colors.

Jenny

QUESTION: I forgot to ask-- What color chair/chairs should I use as next to this sofa to provide extra seating ? And then, how do I choose my rug color?

This room is about 14  by 14.  My favorite colors are on the neutral side-- beiges, browns, sage, etc.

Thanks a ton-- I'm totally clueless when it comes to decorating.

Answer
Since you love the browns and sage, why not look for chairs in one of those colors?  As long as it's a lighter shade than you black sofa, you can add it in.  My first reaction is to lean toward the sage green.  That color would look SO good with the black and with the other suggestions about accessories.  It just may be hard to find in the size and style you want.  Beige would be my second choice.

When looking for a rug, look for one that has all the colors from your room in it, i.e., black, beige and/or sage, and whatever color throw you use.  

You're doing great.
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik