Decorating & Furniture/decorating a classroom

Question
Hi, hope you can help me.  I am moving from a classroom where I've been for three years to a classroom previously occupied by our principal.  She is moving to another job elsewhere, and our new principal has chosen a different room for his office.

I love the office, in that it has two wonderful windows to outside.  My previous one had two small windows near the ceiling.  My new office has a lovely giraffe painted on the wall that our now "previous" and "beloved by all" principal had painted on the wall.  It is very realistic and I want to keep it.

However, I do not want to keep her safari theme in this room.  I also don't want to paint, and the color on the walls is okay, a light "grass green".  

So, I need ideas for decorating, incorporating the giraffe and the green color.  I have a rocker for the room, with a very large stuffed bear, a cobal blue rug with primary colors and the alphabet, several wooden bookshelves, and I have a multitude of things at home I could bring:  teapots, gardening books, maps posters, and various & sundry other "collections."   

I am leaning toward using the map theme, but that's as far as I have gotten - National Geographic maps of various countries, I have, and a globe would be useful.  Since this class is for Kinder, first and second grades, I would like to have things that get their attention and help motivate them to learn.  I teach English as a second language, and I try to have a variety of things around on the walls as teaching tools, but not necessarily a Zoo or a garden, maybe a combination of both.  Do you have any suggestions?  

Answer
Since keeping the giraffe is important and you do not want an African or safari theme, then go with the maps.  You may want to create an "animals" of the world flavor incorporating the maps with even blow up art or posters of animals native to that area, i.e., Australia - koala, Asis - giant panda etc.  

Visual stimulation is key for the age you are teaching, and association with animals is a natural way of learning a little geography.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik