Decorating & Furniture/decorating a room with wood paneling

Question
MY living room is completely panelled with medium toned picture frame custom paneling with matching built-ins.  My husband loves the wood look amd would never consider painting it.  What would you suggest for the floors?  What color carpet, or could we even have some type of hardwood flooring?

Answer
Hi Janice,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  There are a couple of different ways to approach making a decision on flooring for the space.  First - if you like the all wooden feel, then you could definitely add more wood to the floor by using hardwood or even a wood laminate.  If you choose this option, then you must decide whether to "match" the paneling color or add something totally different.  If you take this approach, I would opt for a darker wood tone to ground the space, and I'd purchase a large area rug to add texture and soften the space.  

If you don't want more wood, consider a nice tight woven berber carpet.  Some berber carpeting colors use flecks of darker colors on a light background.  Keep your carpet neutral in color, meaning that when you squint your eyes it looks to be a solid color.  Solid color berbers come in a variety of styles and weaves as well.  By selecting a camel, latte or even off-white with flecks of browns or blues/greens would work great in your space.  

Bottom line - if you use a wood floor, add some warmth and texture by using an area rug.  If you opt for carpeting, stay neutral in color and consider a hard working berber.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik