Decorating & Furniture/decorating walls

Hi Rachel,

Recently, we remodeled our living room, and a small back room.  We tore down the wall between the two rooms and opened it up.  The room now is a long and narrow room - about 12 x 27 (not including the open dining room behind it).  

Anyway - I have a 20+ft. section of wall that is really intimidating me - and I have no clue what to do with it.  It is the main focal point when you walk in the room.

We painted the walls a beige color - our couch and loveseat are a dark sage green.

We have 6 kids and 5 grandkids - and I would like our house to be really warm and inviting when you walk in.  

Could you give me any suggestions on what to do with that big wall?  
(In the past I have tended to decorate toward the country look - I had a large quilt on the wall and had Amish things....I am ready to do away with that look - but still want things to look inviting.)

Thank you so much for amy help you can send me way.  

Dear Mari,
  Here is a link to large tapestries that can work with alot of different decors and makes a room feel homey and beautiful.

Here are some other ideas.
*Paint mural

*Wall Fountain

*Shoji Screen

*Some sort of lighting technique similar to this one

*Large Old Atlas or map

*Stained glass window or old painted door.

*Old Movie posters

*Architectural soffit

Hope this helps you and thank you for your patience.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book