Decorating & Furniture/den decorating

Question
i just purchased a brown leather couch with matching loveseat.  i am going to paint my den, put down a new floor.  my problem is that my kitchen opens into my den so the two rooms share the same floor.  i need suggestions on color for my floor, walls, that will work in both room and a color for kitchen cabinets.  someone suggested i could go with yellow daisies as a scheme for my kitchen.  help me

Answer
Thanks for writing and for your question.  Stay neutral in your floor covering, meaning - a solid color in a neutral color.  Every color in the world has a neutral - it's the purest color hue of all.  Since you're doing kitchen and den, you might consider using ceramic tile or laminate flooring.  Laminate flooring comes in wood tones that mimic hardwood and are very durable.  If you go that route, add a large area rug to connect your furniture in the den.  

If your cabinets have been painted previously, paint them a crisp white.  If they are wood - clean them and leave them alone unless they really need a coat of paint.  Yellow would be a great color for your kitchen walls.  Check out "Chiffon" by Glidden.  It's a warm, buttery yellow and is available at Home Depot.  

You can use the daisy theme if you choose, but keep that as an accent (throw pillows for the couch, real or silk daisies in a vase, a photo/print of a large daisy for the wall etc.)  You can carry that theme into the kitchen but again with accessories - not on the walls or floors.

Jenny

PS:  Another color that goes great with chocolate brown is aqua.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik