Decorating & Furniture/dining chairs

Have just moved into an Edwardian terrace house.

The previous owners opened up ground floor into living/dining space, with arch separating the two (kitchen tucked around corner horseshoe shape with terracotta floor tiles and greyish pinkish colour scheme)

Exposed floorboards in living/dining rooms piney tones

Ceiling roses and cornicing all painted off white

The living room has a small black fireplace and LARGE black leather suite (sofa/chair/pouf)

We have also bought a large glass dining table

I am confused about what chairs to get....we like ones with fabric on back and seat for comfort (current L shape ones that seem to be everywhere) but feel like we could end up with more black leather if we take this option!  

I am planning to use sands and blue/aqua’s in the living room curtains and perhaps sand on chimney breasts so it certainly won’t be a sleek and monochrome scheme

(maybe even florals in the curtains to echo deco flower shapes on fireplace)

1) What do you suggest for the dining chairs?

2) How do I tie in leather and matt black with texture, floral and lighter colours?!

Hi Catherine

If you really feel that black leather will be too much, how about a natural linen cover?

I think these look very stylish (actually I have something very similar in my own home so I hope they look stylish!).

Sand, aqua and the natural linen of the chairs would be a lovely colour scheme and in order that the sofa doesn't look out of place, you just need to find a fabric that includes black + one or two of the other colours and use it to make some sofa cushions:

and maybe also a quick and easy wall panel:

Something like this fabric:

may not be to your taste but is just to illustrate the point that you can use a number of different colours in a room as long as they are all brought together in some way.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit