Decorating & Furniture/dining room chandelier

Question
Dear Jenny;
 We recently purchased a new dining room set and are now trying to choose a chandelier that will complete the room and blend with the furnishings. I am wondering if you could help us determine what sort of finish the chandelier should have. The dining room furniture we selected is wild cherry wood in a transitional style design. One distinctive decorative feature is a silver-coloured metal strip ( half an inch wide) that runs around the sides of the table just below the surface. It is not visible when one is seated because the table's surface slightly overhangs the edge. However, this same colour also appears on the sideboard ( again, in a strip around the edge) and in the sideboards drawer handles where it is more noticeable.

The dining, living, and kitchen areas are open ( an L shaped configuration with the dining room in the middle ) and herein lies the decorating challenge. The refrigerator and dishwasher are stainless steel, very close in tone to the metallic strip in the dining room furniture. On the other hand,the living room, including the fireplace and lamps, is finished in antique brass. Depending upon where one is seated at the dining table, either the kitchen or the living room or both rooms, are visible.

The entire area flows quite well overall - held together by the fact that virtually all the furnishings are transitional in style with complementary colours, and also by the fact that there is a lot of natural light from three skylights and handsome woodwork around the windows throughout all rooms.

In trying to choose a chandelier, we are agreed on a basic transitional style we are looking for, and we have found helpful information on the internet about proper measurements. But what we can't figure out is which sort of finish the chandelier should have. A brass finish would blend beautifully with the fireplace wall and living room but not with the metallic touches in the dining room or with the kitchen appliances. On the other hand, a silver-toned finish would pose the opposite problem. Help!

Any suggestions on which tone we should go with? Or is there maybe another sort of finish we might consider as an alternative that would be a good compromise? Any professional advice you might have to offer will be gratefully received. Thanks very much for taking the time to read this and for your suggestions! It is much appreciated!

Craig

PS.If there's additional information you need to better offer an opinion, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to try to respond.

Answer
My suggestion is to go with a pewter finish.  It's a much more updated look than brass, and will never require polishing.  Pewter, silver, stainless are all hot finishes at the moment, and I don't predict that will change anytime soon.  I don't think you'd be happy with the brass!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik