Decorating & Furniture/front door--interior color

Our front door opens into our living room.  Recently the room had been painted, however the door wasn't.  What color should the door be painted? It is a metal door, do we paint it the color it is?? Or white to go along with the trim of the room.  The color we have on the walls is garden sade, Sherwin Williams, and white trim.  Thanks for your help.

Hi Ellen,

While there's no hard and fast interior decorating rule about front doors, most interior door colors are the same as the trim in the your case, white.  Just make sure that you purchase a paint that is made to cover metal.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology