Decorating & Furniture/dormers

Question
Jenny, I need some help decorating my 2 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms that are blessed (?) with dormers.  In one of the baths and BRs, a window seat with storage beneath is installed, so that's simple enough.

What do I do with this itty-bitty spaces that house a window?  Sure makes arranging furniture a problem, as well as window treatments!  The windows in the dormers are exactly the same size as the dormer, so the other windows have to match.

Is there some reference you can point me to?

I appreciate your help!
Kerry

Answer
Kerry,

Thanks for writing and for your dormer question. There is really no single source I could refer you to regarding decorating these room accents, but quite often Traditional Home Magazine will feature homes with dormers, particularly in their spring editions.  While that doesn't help you now, let's talk about some basic things.  Since you have dormers and traditional windows in the same room, you are right in saying the treatment needs to match.  But by "matching"  we can "coordinate" which gives us a lot more latitude.  If your regular windows are draped or curtained, consider using the same fabric and creating a faux window seat, a covered chain that suspends a crystal or other art object, or a tiny but oh so tailored valence for the dormer top.  As long as the fabric coordinates from one side of the room to the other, you'll be fine.  If you purchase ready-made window treatments, buy one extra and use that to create your own dormer treatment.  

My one clue here is to use your imagination.  Kirsch makes rods in an array of sizes, from 4 inches up.  Give some thought to the possibilities, and enjoy the journey!

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik