Decorating & Furniture/double living room

Wall was taken down between two rooms - each now 13feetx13feet. separated by a large opening where the wall was once.  One end of great room has fireplace.  Would like this room to be family/tv room - other part of large room to be more formal living room. This room is on your left as you enter the house.  Thought of separating the rooms with a sofa with its back to formal living room.  How do I decorate the formal living room? One end of room has three formal windows that take up the whole wall in a curve.  The wall you see as you enter straight ahead is big on one side with one window.  Help.

The key here is to coordinate color schemes between the two rooms.  Obviously you'll want more formal furniture in the living room area, and more casual in the family/tv area.  

Separating the rooms with a sofa is a good idea.  Create two separate "seating" areas on either end of the room.  Behind the sofa in the formal area, use a console table.  You can also include area rugs in one or both areas to further deliniate the two spaces.  

As for the windows in the formal side, treat them as one when it comes to dressing the windows.  A valance, scarf etc. covering the top with drapery on either end makes it appear as one window rather than three.  

Treat the windows in this open space using the same rule of thumb.  Coordinate your colors/patterns and differ your actual "treatment"; i.e., use sheers with one drapery panel pulled open on one window, use scarves and sheers on another, but make the fabric the same.  You could also dress the less formal side with blinds or shutters for a less formal look, just coordinate the color.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology