Decorating & Furniture/exterior door colors

In our quest to find a different exterior house color scheme that didn't look like any of our neighbors, we decided to paint our house a dark forest green on the walls, and a red brick color for the trim (didn't want to look too Christmasy).
    Our delima now is that the garage door is white, and the entrance doors are blue.  My wife and her sister think we should paint the doors the same color as the trim.  I believe that they should be a different color so that the trim can be seen, even if only a different shade.
    Could you please help us with this debate, and if possible, suggest an appropriate color for the doors.

Thank You,

Ok Len - Not to throw a real wrench into the works, but "if" your garage doors are visible from the street, they should be painted dark green (like the house siding).  If they're hidden - i.e., not visible from the street, then they can be painted like the doors.  Garage doors should always be the color of the body of the house to lessen the attention they take on when painted differently.  Now, to the other debate...

I would select a third color (color schemes always work better in odd numbers whether it's interior or exterior).  The two suggestions I'd give you for consideration is off-white (beige) or taupe.  My favorite taupe is Glidden's Toasty Grey, available at Home Depot and Glidden retailers nationwide.  It's a warm, lovely shade of taupe and coordinates beautifully with most colors - dark green and red included.  Your doors, your window sills etc. will be beautiful painted in this color, and be lovely with the brick red and green.  

Now you'll have a new discussion, won't you?  Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology