Decorating & Furniture/fabric

I'm an interior design student and i'm only on my second term. I am designing my friends room and we have decided that we want to pick out a fabric of our own and sew it for her duvet cover. I heard that if you buy the fabric it won't be wide enough so there will be a visible seem in the middle. Is this true, and if so how do we get around this. Where do we buy our fabric?

Dear Lindsay,
     Alot of fabric stores just carry fabric bolt sizes that are around 15" in width. There initially for quilting and other decorative items. If you are able to find an upholstery fabric store this is where you will find larger bolts and thicker fabrics. I work at a furniture store part time and we just got in duvet covers that are made with upholstery fabric and they are beautiful. I hope this helps you out and have fun.

Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book