Decorating & Furniture/family room furnishings

Question
i feel so stupid.
i pride myself in having 'decorator sense'...and i have always enjoyed decorating/furnishing with 'finds' stuff that's nice but a little out of the ordinary.  last week, we went out and purchased furniture for our family room.  it seemed like a good idea:  three pieces - sofa, loveseat, chair - all oxblood leather.  good price.  ack!  now that it's in there - i just noticed; it's all the same?!  i've never had all the pieces in the same covering.  i've added fun colorful toss pillows and 'throws' - but still, it's sooo 'safe' - does that make me non-creative and boring?  was that a big decorating faux pas?

Answer
I still think you have decorating sense and having all the same furniture is not necessarily "safe" especially when you purchase furniture in an oxblood color.  Try different textures now that carry out your "out of the ordinary" finds.  Leather paired with nubby fabrics, textured and woven ones (particularly rugs) will give a kick that's needed.  

You may want to make things a little earthier too -- try adding some plants/trees to add earth and texture.  

When you add tables - mix and match them; be bold and brave with color on the walls and on the ceiling.  Use your furnishings as your "jumping off" point for the room.  It can serve as the anchor, with everything else a bit on the risky side.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik