Decorating & Furniture/family room furnishings

i feel so stupid.
i pride myself in having 'decorator sense'...and i have always enjoyed decorating/furnishing with 'finds' stuff that's nice but a little out of the ordinary.  last week, we went out and purchased furniture for our family room.  it seemed like a good idea:  three pieces - sofa, loveseat, chair - all oxblood leather.  good price.  ack!  now that it's in there - i just noticed; it's all the same?!  i've never had all the pieces in the same covering.  i've added fun colorful toss pillows and 'throws' - but still, it's sooo 'safe' - does that make me non-creative and boring?  was that a big decorating faux pas?

I still think you have decorating sense and having all the same furniture is not necessarily "safe" especially when you purchase furniture in an oxblood color.  Try different textures now that carry out your "out of the ordinary" finds.  Leather paired with nubby fabrics, textured and woven ones (particularly rugs) will give a kick that's needed.  

You may want to make things a little earthier too -- try adding some plants/trees to add earth and texture.  

When you add tables - mix and match them; be bold and brave with color on the walls and on the ceiling.  Use your furnishings as your "jumping off" point for the room.  It can serve as the anchor, with everything else a bit on the risky side.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology