Decorating & Furniture/family room woes

I just finished decorating my dining room and living room in dramatic wine and eggplant colors.  My struggle is now knowing what colors to use in rooms on the same floor.  What other combinations might you recommend, to give the house a nice flow yet interest?

The best way to color sculpt your rooms, making them "flow" is to 1)  cross-pollinate the color (from the wine/eggplant room); 2)  use color opposites (from the color wheel); and 3)  use "same" but "muted" color.  I'll explain:  

1)  cross pollinating occurs when you paint your walls eggplant and your ceiling camel brown in room 1.  In room 2 you invert these colors, painting the walls a camel and the ceiling in eggplant.  That would work for a hallway (in your case)or an adjacent "study/den".  

2)  when you opt for color opposites you create harmony and drama.  Using your color opposite would be somewhere in the sage to a greyed-down dark green range.  

3) the last choice is to pull additional colors off the same color chart/swatch from your original color.  It's basically adding lighter/darker colors off the same swatch to adjacent rooms.  

Basically the choice is now up to you and your own good sense of design.  You're obviously comfortable with your skills, otherwise you wouldn't be bold enough to use that beautiful, wonderful, rich eggplant color on the walls.  

(Good for you!)

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology