Decorating & Furniture/family room


Hello, My name is Rocio.
In my house the dining room and family room is just one big room. There are wood cabinets over the sink area in the kitchen which faces the dining/family room and is open there. I have the dining room table right across, but in the other space my boyfriend decided he wanted a pool table. My question is how can I seperate the two. I want to put up wall decor around the table area that goes with the dining room but I don't think it will look good with the pool table there. Can you please help with some advise. Thank you very much in advance!

Dear Rocio,
  I know how those boyfriends can be. Are you able to seperate the space with a shoji screen or a free standing curtain rod? You can change the material that is on the pool table with a color that suits the dining room better as well. I am not sure how much this usually cost but I know it has started to be more common. Please send me pictures to so I can further asssist you.

Good Luck,
Rachel Mallon

Decorating & Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID


I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book


Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book

©2017 All rights reserved.