Decorating & Furniture/faux

Question
Sorry if this is general info and I'm just way out of it but what exactly does  "FAUX" mean? I love the painting techniques, but recently came across a faux fireplace...what does that mean?  Is it a style, a person, a company?  Any enlightenment would be helpful...thank you...deb

Answer
Hi Deb,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  It's a good one, and more people should ask!  Faux basically means "false" or "imitated".  A faux fireplace?  Probably something that appeared to be a fireplace (i.e., a mantle and brick surround) without actually being a fireplace.  

Faux fur is a big rage now because it looks like the real thing, but didn't cost an animal its coat.  Faux painting techniques simply give the illusion of something they're not; tile, old world plaster, pitted surfaces and/or stone.  

Hope that clears things up for you!  Have a great day.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik