Decorating & Furniture/fireplace

I have a fireplace that I do not use.(Living room)  I have a screen but you can see the empty space.  Could you suggest something that might look good.  The fireplace is floor level and large.  Too big for candles.  I was thinking about a large plant??  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi Susan

I think you have several options here.

You could, of course use some kind of fire here whether you intend to light it or not.  Depending on the size of the hole, a stove or grate filled with logs would look good.

Something like this perhaps:

or this;

I have a similar fireplace 'hole' in my living room and in the end I had a real flame effect gas fire fitted as nothing seemed to look quite right to me apart from an actual fire.  I rarely light it but it does fill the gap better than any alternative I can think of.

Alternatively, as you say, a plant (silk, real or dried) is an option and so too is something like a large wicker basket filled with logs or pine cones.

Kind regards,

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston

I am happy to answer questions regarding decorating, use of colour, soft furnishings ideas etc. I love quick and easy ideas that help people like me - short of time, money and sewing skills! I own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

I have been involved in the decoration and preparation of a number of vacation rental properties where making a property look a million dollars whilst only spending a few pounds is very important.

I have had a number of articles printed and have been prolific on various vacation home owner forums. A lot of my ideas are featured on my website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit

My whole career has been in the travel industry working everywhere from UK travel agencies and London Heathrow Airport to a 5 star European resort - La Manga Club. I have extensive experience with vacation rental property and own and run the website Decorating Vacation Property for Profit