Decorating & Furniture/fireplace

Question
I have a fireplace that I do not use.(Living room)  I have a screen but you can see the empty space.  Could you suggest something that might look good.  The fireplace is floor level and large.  Too big for candles.  I was thinking about a large plant??  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Answer
Hi Susan

I think you have several options here.

You could, of course use some kind of fire here whether you intend to light it or not.  Depending on the size of the hole, a stove or grate filled with logs would look good.

Something like this perhaps:

http://www.photos.com/en/search/close-up?oid=4065340&hoid=dc8d3646bef793873a6fd3

or this;

http://www.fireplacewarehouse.net/intro.htm

I have a similar fireplace 'hole' in my living room and in the end I had a real flame effect gas fire fitted as nothing seemed to look quite right to me apart from an actual fire.  I rarely light it but it does fill the gap better than any alternative I can think of.

Alternatively, as you say, a plant (silk, real or dried) is an option and so too is something like a large wicker basket filled with logs or pine cones.

Kind regards,

Andrea

Decorating & Furniture

Andrea Elliston