Decorating & Furniture/fireplace makeover

We are moving into a new home and thier is a fireplace in the playroom of my children. I want to make the fireplace 'disapear' without tearing it out permanantly? any tips?

Great question.  First of all, install a wooden panel to cover the firebox, and paint it black.  That will make the hole disappear, insulate the room more, and discourage little hands (and bodies) from exploring the hole. You  could faux paint a "flame" on there making it appear real, or you could simply put something in front of it.  Make sure the fireplace surround is painted the same color as the wall to visually make it disappear.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology